October 23, 2010

My New Obsession... glitterhouses!

Ok, so I know that Christmas is two months away, but I can't help myself.  I am completely obsessed with glitter houses!  I actually just discovered them.  Apparently, they are a once common vintage Christmas decoration originally called putz houses, I think.  Here is a link if you would like to read more about them.  I found an awesome blog this week called A Field Journal and I love the glitter house village she made last Christmas.  So, so, so pretty!  I love the pinks and aquas and creams!  So romantic and dreamy.  Anyway, I am totally copying her.  I am not going to beat around the bush about that. She just did a perfect job and can't change anything about it.  I don't know, maybe I'll change a couple things but my village is going to be very similar.  I might play up the aquas a little more and soften the pinks a little.  My projects never turn out the way I originally invision them.  Sometimes they come out better and sometimes they come out worse.  Like, a month ago I decided to make big fabric pumpkins out of different textured whitish fabrics and put them on my mantel along with some tall glass candlesticks I have.  Horrible.  It looked horrible.  So I wasted two hours of time (but not much money I'm relieved to say) and was left with an undecorated mantel.  In the end I just threw up a fake fall leaf garland with my glass candlesticks and a few faux mercury glass votive holders and it looks great!  Who knew?  Oh, well.  At least it was an easy fix.  Ok, back to the glitter houses...  Here is a picture of the original glitter house village I fell in love with (blogged here).  Isn't it just lovely?


...and here is a picture of my first glitter house although it's unadorned right now.  I LOVE it!  I decided to start with the church and I used the pattern on Martha Stewart's website here.  The chipboard (which is dang hard to find) is a little rough due to my putting on too much glue on the template.  But it will be covered by many layers of prettiness, so I'm not worried about it.



I'll post more pics as my village undergoes construction.  I'm hoping to have it all finished by the end of November so I can put it up on the mantel just in time for the Christmas season.  So excited!  I can't stop holding it, it's so cute!  My oldest daughter, Katie, loves it too.  She keeps asking me when she can paint it.  I think I might have to make her one of her own.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment