December 14, 2009

Marshmallow Bliss...



So I've seen homemade marshmallows pop up every now and then on different blogs I've read over the past few years and now I've decided to try it for myself.  I've heard that homemade marshmallows are devine, but I had never had one... until today.  All I have to say is, what in the world took me so long?  I looooove homemade marshmallows.  They are so much smoother and flavorfuller (is that a word?) than the ones in the bag and I don't even like the ones in the bag unless they are turned into smores.  I cannot stop eating them, hence the reason I am promptly going to go to the gym this morning.  Never has so much sugar been so ok with me.  I'm pretty sure homemade marshmallows are guaranteed kid zingers, but I haven't tried that one out for myself yet.  I'll need more coffee for that one.  lol



Anyway, I think I'm rambling... probably because I'm in a marshmallow stupor.  I made mine peppermint flavored with pretty red swirls on top.  Mmmmmm.  Perfect for a cup of hot cocoa, don't you think?  I had planned to make them with my four-year-old, but I didn't realize how long it takes for the boiling sugar/water to reach the "soft ball" stage.  I think it was about 20 minutes, which, in the mind of a four-year-old, it might as well be forever.  She gave up on me and made a tent with our kitchen table.  If you would like to join me in my marshmallow bliss, here is the recipe I used (thanks McAuliflower!).  You should try it!



Happy holiday making!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment