June 3, 2011

Summer is here!

 So here is a little update on the goings on here at our house.  These photos are mostly of the garden area but I have a few projects that I am going to later post about too.

Here is the current state of my peas!  I planted them mid-march and they are FINALLY making pea pods!  Peas always take so long, but they are so worth it!  Can't wait til they are ready to harvest!



Here are my bush beans!  They look pretty good so far, but I am worried that I am going to have to break out the Sevin spray to fight off the Mexican Bean Beetle Bug.  Evil things!  This particular variety is a french filet bean.  YUM!


My lovely onion and lettuce patch!  So pretty!


This is my oak leaf lettuce...


...Romaine lettuce...


...and green leaf lettuce (also called Black Seeded Simpson).


My gorgeous mesclun mix!  This will probably be harvested this weekend!


Here is my tomato patch with english cucumbers and basil in between.


My english cucumbers!  I am attempting to underplant my tomatoes with them for two reasons:  to help choke out the weeds and to keep the soil moister during the hot summer weeks. 


And here is a full view of the garden!


Here is my most favorite plant!  My Eden Rose!  It's finally blooming!  Although I am disappointed that they aren't blooming as much as last year.  I think I might need to fertilize them really well.  


A vase of roses I put together yesterday all from my garden!  The light pink ones are the Eden Rose and the the red ones are a variety called Blaze and they are planted on the side of my house.  My husband has been wanting to get rid of the Blaze rose for a couple years now because it has never bloomed and it looks really shabby where it is (we need to move it to a better location).  But yesterday he saw these in the vase and now he loves them!


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment